Reloader Hub

Discussion
  • Hodgdon CFE 223 Powder

I am interested in trying Hodgdon CFE 223 powder.  However, I have some concerns, which are;  pressure for the CFE 223 for a 55 grain bullet out of a 22-250 at a minimum load is 49,300 psi verses Varget minimum load  is 46,100 psi.  As the load goes more towards the maximum, pressures rise to 63,500 psi for the CFE 223 and Varget maximum is 50,400 psi.  Next concern is heat, a fellow shooter has tried the CFE 223 in his AR/223 and after a couple rounds the barrel was extremely hot.  Velocity difference between the two at minimum load is 67 fps and maximum load is 191 fps.  The difference CFE 223 has on a bullet trajectory at 400 yards verses Varget is approximately 2.5 inches.  I like to be able to shoot at least five rounds without the barrel over heating.  Is the difference in velocity worth the extra heat/pressure?  After all how dead is dead.  Only a fraction of a second sooner.  Has anyone had any experience with this powder that can address these concerns? 

• Profile Image
    • By HVWT
    • 2 years ago
    • 39 Posts
      • HVWT's stats:
      • Yahoo: HVWT's Yahoo
      • AIM: HVWT's AIM
Recent Replies
  • Re: Hodgdon CFE 223 Powder

Hvwt, I've been using cfe223 for about a year now, primarily in my 22-250's. I've had great results with it as far as accuracy goes. If you are shooting a bolt gun I can't imagine ever having issues with heat even if your unloading the magazine in record time. Your point of impact may change slightly , but that is something you would have to try in your own gun with your own load. Same goes for pressure, as always start low and work up watching for pressure sighns. I've loaded to max according to Hodgson data with 52gr bullets without any problem. Also I shoot with others that use this powder and they have good luck with it also.

My hunting load for model 700 rem with 1-14" twist is 38.3gr cfe223 with rem 9 1/2 primer bullet set .040" from lands with 55gr v-max

• Profile Image
    • By vt coy caller
    • 2 years ago
    • 393 Posts
      • vt coy caller's stats:
      • Yahoo: vt coy caller's Yahoo
      • AIM: vt coy caller's AIM
  • CFE 223

I have been using 27.3 and 27.0 grains of CFE223 in two .223 loads with the 55 grain Rem and Hornady bullets in both a AR and a Rem 700 and have had very good accuracy and no problems, what so ever, like you state. I like this powder and am working loads up for the 204 and a 22-250. so far good on them also.  Bill K

• Profile Image
    • By BillK
    • 2 years ago
    • 880 Posts
      • BillK's stats:
      • Yahoo: BillK's Yahoo
      • AIM: BillK's AIM
  • Hodgdon CFE 223 Powder

I was at the local gun club/range yesterday and picked up a pound of the CFE 223 powder.  I am going to give it a try.  I will post the results.  It will be a few weeks as I have other irons in the fire right now.  To many loads, not enough time, hell to be retired, I think I had more time to myself before retirement.

• Profile Image
    • By HVWT
    • 2 years ago
    • 39 Posts
      • HVWT's stats:
      • Yahoo: HVWT's Yahoo
      • AIM: HVWT's AIM
  • Hodgdon CFE 223 Powder

Hi HVWT,

I hope I am not going over something that has already been mentioned but I was reading your post and noticed the presures you have quoted for CFE223 and Varget powders. The info I have shows the figures you have used are correct but CFE223 is in PSI but the Varget pressure of 50,400 is in CUP not PSI. There is a huge difference between these two measuring standards and I have never seen a formula that allows us to compare them. Maybe another member can give us some idea of the comparison.

Regards,

Kiwikid.

Terms of Service