Reloader Hub

Discussion
  • IMR 4227 for 45 Colt and 30-30

Hey you guys;

Has anyone worked up any loads for rifles using IMR 4227?  I am interested in 45 Colt (rifle) and30-30.  The only restrictions I have are RNFP and cast boolits.

Thanks

CHUCK

Recent Replies
  • Re: IMR 4227 for 45 Colt and 30-30

Howdy Chuck, IMR-4227 is not really suited for both calibers. In fact for the .45 Long Colt it might be pretty dangerous! I do have for .45LC (Rifle) 3 loads and for .30-30 just 2 loads. These loads are all with Lead-bullets (with Gas-Checks). I don’t feel happy to share these loads out in the open here on the hub.

The reason being that these loads exceeds the SAAMI pressure specs. Especially the .45LC exceeds the pressure levels quit a bit. And it is only suited for sturdy modern rifles build for smokeless powder use, an old or antique (lever-action) rifle won’t stand these pressures!

When you ballistically compare these two calibers you run in way to many differences.
    A. The muzzle velocity and energy of the 30-30 is about twice than the .45LC!
    B. The average bullet weight for the .45LC is about double than the .30-30's
    See here the two major problems with IMR-4227 powder. The only thing they have in common is that they have about the same case capacity. This is why you easily can (re)load them with Black Powder or Trail Boss.  

I stronly recommend you use an other powder, the only powder that comes in my mind is Trail Boss. This is suited for both calibers, see for those load data the IMR/Hodgdon site.

PJ.

Edited by PJSTUART, 2 years ago

• Profile Image
    • By PJSTUART
    • 2 years ago
    • 1524 Posts
      • PJSTUART's stats:
      • Male
      • Yahoo: PJSTUART's Yahoo
      • AIM: PJSTUART's AIM
  • reply to PJ re; Trail Boss

Hey PJ;

I think I'll go with IMR's Trail Boss, thanksUndecided

CHUCK

Edited by Nevada, 2 years ago

• Re: IMR 4227 for 45 Colt and 30-30

Let us know if we can help you, don't hesitate to drop a message.

PJ

• Profile Image
    • By PJSTUART
    • 2 years ago
    • 1524 Posts
      • PJSTUART's stats:
      • Male
      • Yahoo: PJSTUART's Yahoo
      • AIM: PJSTUART's AIM

Terms of Service