Reloader Hub

Discussion
  • 7X57mm vs 7mm-08 vs .280 Rem

Given strong modern actions I think the 7X57 is better!  140 gr bullet @ 2,900 + fps. sub moa 50 +/- deer that can't argue,less felt recoil.

• Profile Image
    • By max
    • 2 years ago
    • 1411 Posts
Recent Replies
  • Re: 7X57mm vs 7mm-08 vs .280 Rem

I have shot all three owned and still own the 7-08 and 280. No you can't argue with those results Max. I wouldn't argue with you over your opinion either. My drooling over 7 bore rifles started in 89 with my first 7 Mag which until I got serious with my current 280 I thought was the Alpha and Omega of the 7 bore. Now I don't think so. Of the 3 you listed their are however 2 I will never be without 7-08 and 280. 7 bore is a disease and I don't want the cure. 

Howdy Max, I have a comparison tool  that includes hese 3 calibers and this might help you. I compares 4 major factors (based on hunting). If you like I can send you a print (PDF), it's an awesome tool and it works. The .280 REM came out on top.

PJ

Edited by PJSTUART, 2 years ago

• Profile Image
    • By PJSTUART
    • 2 years ago
    • 1527 Posts
      • PJSTUART's stats:
      • Male
      • Yahoo: PJSTUART's Yahoo
      • AIM: PJSTUART's AIM

Chuck: how was fish'n?  PJ I would like that PDF.  I've also had a 7 since 1962 first was the Rem.mag,which I thought was every thing there ever was until I shot some deer,then not so happy!  

• Profile Image
    • By max
    • 2 years ago
    • 1411 Posts
  • 7X57 vs &-08 vs 280 Rem

PJ, I two have a 280 rem and a 7-o8 and I know 7th has  a 7-08 anf 7mm mag. will you post the it on site so we all can read it? Thanks.

Here is the list with the comparison about these 3 calibers.

PJ

Ballistic Comparison

• Profile Image
    • By PJSTUART
    • 2 years ago
    • 1527 Posts
      • PJSTUART's stats:
      • Male

Max,

Yes with a strong modern action you can load for better performance but most load data is for the old rifles that are still out there. According to SAAMI the established Maximum Average Pressure is 46,000 CUP because of the older rifles. This info was taken from my Lyman 49th ed. page 192 if you want to look it up. The 7mm-08 and the 280Rem. work at a higher chamber pressure and most load data relates to this.

Edited by Hacker54, 2 years ago

Hacker:  I know that most reloading manuals go light for the poor  old 7mm.  I have an older Hodgon manual which has loads specific to Ruger which bring the 7X57 to life .  Hodgon has given their blessing to the continued use,I do check regularly.  I shoot a 140 gr. @2,900+/- with no pressure indications.

Edited by max, 2 years ago

• Profile Image
    • By max
    • 2 years ago
    • 1411 Posts

Okay before everyone panics, holy cow did I receive a bunch of reactions (email). I should have explained a bit more about this comparison tool.

A. The calibers are compared based on their “nominal” ballistics and data. This means that the displayed data is based only with data that the “original / fist” cartridge is developed for (first came out with), and are currently used by the SAAMI as a “guideline”.

B. Only these 4 parameters are (can be) used for comparison.

C. There is nothing wrong with other calibers or with one of these 3, it’s “just” a comparison of these 3.

D. Change only one (reloading) component, for instance the bullet weight and you have completely different chart. Again this comparison is based on the “nominal” composition of these “particular” rounds.

E. One can use up to 8 calibers in one chart out of over the 845 calibers and 24000 loads! I just displayed the 3 calibers that came up in the discussion. Just theses3 calibers are good for over 925+ different load data and thus internal ballistics (not even included different rifles and atmospheric conditions). 

F. No, unfortunately the average chamber pressure can not be displayed.

G. No I don’t hate the 7mm’s, quite the opposite I love to reload, shoot and own them. I use a 7x64 Brenneke at this time. If I for pure fun had added this round as well to this chart than the outcome was even more different.

PJ.

• Profile Image
    • By PJSTUART
    • 2 years ago
    • 1527 Posts
      • PJSTUART's stats:
      • Male
  • 7X57 and others

If you can get a copy of the latest Rifle Magazine, put out by Wolfe publishing. It is dedicated to the seven millimeter cartridges and has lots of good into on most every one of them. With some interesting conclusions. Well worth reading. I personally prefer the old 7x5 Mauser.   Bill K

• Profile Image
    • By BillK
    • 2 years ago
    • 880 Posts
      • BillK's stats:
      • Yahoo: BillK's Yahoo
      • AIM: BillK's AIM

I bought the "Rifle" mag you mentioned and read it last night.  Very interesting reading.  I've always wondered how the Remington 7mm mag got so popular, when ballistically it doesn't really step up that much from well-loaded 270/30-06.  7mm Weatherby mag is another thing.

As for 7X57/7mm-08, I've never really gave those two their due attention.  Plan to correct that one of these first days.  As for rifles that do their best to separate me from my shoulder (anything more powerful than 270/30-06), I don't shoot those anymore.....not since the bypass surgery!  I'm getting better tho.....I can finally pull a 50# bow again.  Not so good with a 60 pounder yet....70#...I may never be able to do that again.

Terms of Service